• Page 1 of 1
Forum moderator: ^kbc  
Forum » General Section » General Discuss » How to record
How to record
PlaGueDate: Monday, 2010-05-03, 7:43 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Team Member

Q: “What's a demo?”
A: A demo is basically a recording of all the information you receive from the server while you play. It's not a video of what you saw, in that case the demo files would be a lot bigger and would be hard to compress. When you play a demo the data from your recordings are generated by the HL-engine, with whatever models you use, and create a playback of what you recorded.

Q: “When am I supposed to record a demo?”
A: If you see a player you think is cheating you record a demo as your proof, and don't forget status in console.

Q: “Why should I record a demo?”
A: A demo of a cheater, with status in console, are considerable proof, and easy for an admin to see through to determine if cheats are being used or not.

Q: “Why do I need to have status in console?”
A: If, while you record a demo, you type status in console, then the status is recorded as well and will be accessible at any later point. The status shows which server the demo was recorded on, and what steam_ids where connected to the server at the time being. With status recorded in the demo it will provide us good enough evidence that the player in question cheated on one of the servers within the RADAR community. This is what we need to obtain before we ban / add a player to the RADAR blacklist.

Q: “How do I record a demo?”
A: To record a demo you have to be dead and spectate the cheater in 1. person. This means that you have to see what the cheater is doing because a demo only records what you see on your own screen.

1. Toggle console
2. Type record (I.E. record cheater)
3. Type status (Now there will pop up some information in the console which will be included in the demo)
4. Return to game so you can spectate the cheater
5. Spectate the cheater until you feel you have enough proof of cheating
6. Toggle console
7. Type status (Once more, better to be safe than sorry)
8. Type stop (This stops the recording)

Now you can find a .dem file in your cstrike folder (Steam/SteamApps/your@mail/Counter-strike/cstrike) with the demo name you entered in console, in this example it would be cheater.dem. Some might need to take more demos or maybe you find another cheater while you are playing, one idea might be to use the cheaters nick as demo name to help keep them apart so you don't mix them up.

Q: “Of course I know how to record a demo, but how do I add status?”
A: While you are recording your demo:

1. Toggle console
2. Type status (Now there will pop up some information in the console which will be included in the demo)
3. Return to game

Q: “How can I check if I remembered to type status in console?”
A: To check if you remembered to type status you do what you normally do when you watch a demo. You toggle console and type playdemo . During playback or when the demo is finished you toggle console and scroll upwards to where the status was recorded. If you can't find it anywhere you most likely forgot to type status in console while recording.

EDIT!!
Write this in your config/userconfig to make it easy for you:
bind "i" "messagemode record"
bind "o" "status"
bind "p" "stop"

"The wise man speaks because he has something to say, the fool because he has to say something." Platon

Message edited by PlaGue - Tuesday, 2010-05-04, 9:30 PM

CamperDate: Tuesday, 2010-05-04, 8:01 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Administrators
Quote (PlaGue)
Q: “How do I record a demo?”
A: To record a demo you have to be dead and spectate the cheater in 1. person. This means that you have to see what the cheater is doing because a demo only records what you see on your own screen.

no.
If you write " dem_forchehltv 1 " in console you can switch between the players. (Not 100% sure that its the right command)

"Source takes less skill than 1.6"
-Tyler "Storm" Wood

UrbanDate: Wednesday, 2010-05-05, 1:08 PM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Users
surprised PlaGue who doesnt no how to record x) i like to use demos to record and without doing the command makemovie or something just use fraps biggrin

Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know.

PlaGueDate: Wednesday, 2010-05-05, 5:58 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Team Member
Do whatever you want to do, I'm only giving you a tips how you can take a demo. In my way, I do as I wrote...

"The wise man speaks because he has something to say, the fool because he has to say something." Platon

UrbanDate: Friday, 2010-05-07, 9:10 PM | Message # 5
Colonel
Group: Users
Nice guide tho

Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know.

Forum » General Section » General Discuss » How to record
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: